A man pulled from the water unconscious at Flint and Steel Beach has died in hospital.

Confirmation has been made today (Friday, 05 July) that a man pulled from the water and resuscitated at a remote beach in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park last Saturday afternoon (29 June) has died in hospital.

Flint and Steel Beach, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park

The 46-year-old man was with three friends at Flint and Steel Beach, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, when bystanders who were also at the remote beach saw him go into the water, apparently to collect a remote controlled boat that had stopped working.

The man had appeared to swim confidently according to the bystanders, so they had not watched him, but only moments later those at the beach became involved in rescue efforts as one of his friends was pulling him out of the water unconscious.

People from a nearby boat had come to shore and assisted with CPR on the man as others frantically called Triple Zero (000), guiding emergency services to the scene.

NSW Police Marine Area Command - Broken Bay water police

Officers from NSW Police Marine Area Command at Broken Bay were the first to arrive by police boat, bringing an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) with them, which was used on the man, who had gone into cardiac arrest.

A Toll NSW Ambulance Rescue Helicopter delivered a critical care medical team directly to the beach by winch, and further emergency crews from Surf Life Saving NSW (SLSNSW) and NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) arrived by boat, as paramedics and police arriving by road made their way down a steep bush trail to the beach.

Paramedics and the critical care doctor were able to resuscitate the man on the beach. He was placed into an induced coma and transferred by RFS boat to a NSW Ambulance that was on standby at Church Point.

Rescue operation for a man who drowned at Flint and Steel Beach

He was rushed to Northern Beaches Hospital in a critical condition, and it is understood that he was placed on life support and transferred to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

Despite the initial efforts of rescuers and the subsequent medical attention in hospital, the man’s condition did not improve, and a Northern Beaches Hospital spokesperson confirmed he died around 10.30pm on Monday night (01 July).

Northern Beaches Hospital Emergency Department

It is understood the man, originally of Indian origin, has no immediate family in Australia, and they have now been contacted and informed of his passing.

Following the incident, NSW Police confirmed that an investigation was being conducted by officers from Marine Area Command into the circumstances surrounding the incident. It is understood that investigation will now inform a report for the information of the Coroner.

Images: Northern Beaches Advocate

Become a supporter


Support local journalism by contributing to the Northern Beaches Advocate...