A woman was resuscitated after being found unresponsive at Collaroy Beach rock pool.

Just after 8.15pm yesterday evening (Saturday, 23 March), emergency services responded to a report of a woman found lying face down and not breathing next to the rock pool at Collaroy Beach.

Concerned bystanders called Triple Zero (000) and commenced CPR on the woman in her 40s, who was reported to be wet and gasping for air. The bystanders said the woman appeared to stop breathing and they could not find a pulse.

As emergency services responded to the scene, it is understood the GoodSAM Responder App had alerted a first aid trained member of the public who was registered with their system. That person then rushed over to the beach.

CPR on woman at Collaroy rock pool

As the GoodSAM responder took over CPR efforts of the bystanders, Intensive Care Paramedics arrived in the beach car park. The GoodSAM responder continued CPR while paramedics prepared life-saving resuscitation equipment from their vehicle. NSW Ambulance Inspector Mark Whittaker was also called in to assist with the woman’s care.

Paramedics stabilised the now semiconscious woman’s breathing. With the assistance of officers attached to Northern Beaches Police Area Command and Fire and Rescue NSW firefighters from Narrabeen and Dee Why Stations, she was carried from the pool area, loaded into a NSW Ambulance and taken to Northern Beaches Hospital in a serious but stable condition just before 9.00pm.

Images: Northern Beaches Advocate


Officially partnered with NSW Ambulance, GoodSAM has been trialling with off duty emergency services personnel to respond to incidents close to registered users. CPR trained members of the public can register and be notified of calls for assistance nearby, providing assistance and life-saving intervention prior to the arrival of a NSW Ambulance. Register here and get the app for Apple and Android.

Matt Cross - upgrade Davidson High hall


Davidson kids deserve better

Add your voice to the call for an upgrade to Davidson High's school hall. It is neglected and the school P&C described it as 'embarrassing'.