A man has died in hospital after an alleged assault at The Corso, Manly.
NSW Police issued a statement this morning (Wednesday, 07 February), advising that a man had died in hospital following an alleged assault at The Corso, Manly, last month.
Just before 2.45am Saturday, 27 January, emergency services were called to a report of a man suffering a serious head injury following an alleged assault at The Corso, Manly.
Following a rapid response by officers attached to Northern Beaches Police Area Command and NSW Ambulance paramedics to the scene, the 37-year-old man was resuscitated and rushed to Royal North Shore Hospital in a critical condition suffering a traumatic head injury.
NSW Police detectives established Strike Force Ditchfield to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident. Following inquiries, a 24-year-old man was arrested the following evening (Sunday, 28 January) at an address at Parkview Road, Fairlight. He was taken to Manly Police Station, where he was charged with ‘wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm’.
Refused bail overnight, the 24-year-old man appeared at Manly Local Court on Monday, 29 January, where the magistrate was told the incident was self-defence, involving a verbal dispute with shoving, and claims that no punches were thrown before the injured man fell backwards and hit his head.
Despite police opposition, the 24-year-old man was granted conditional bail on the charge of wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He was required to surrender his passport and live with his parents. The matter was then set for a hearing at Downing Centre Local Court in March 2024.
Police said that they were advised of the 37-year-old man’s death last night (Tuesday, 06 February) in Royal North Shore Hospital. They confirmed investigations are ongoing, and a report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.
“A man has died in hospital following an alleged assault at Manly last month.
“Officers attached to Northern Beaches Police Area Command were called to The Corso about 3.00am on Saturday 27 January 2024, and found a man suffering a serious head injury.
“The 37-year-old was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics before being taken to Royal North Shore Hospital in a critical condition.
“Detectives established Strike Force Ditchfield to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.
“A 24-year-old man was arrested on Sunday 28 January 2024 and charged. He remains before the courts.
“Last night (Tuesday 6 February 2024), investigators were advised the man had died in hospital. A report will be prepared for the Coroner.
“Investigations under Strike Force Ditchfield continue,” said the NSW Police spokesperson.
In the wake of the man’s death, it is expected additional charges will now be laid against the 24-year-old man.
Update Friday 09 February 2024:
NSW Police have confirmed a new charge of ‘assault causing death’ has been laid against the 24-year-old Fairlight man following the death of the 37-year-old Narraweena man in hospital on Tuesday, 06 February.
The 24-year-old man appeared at Manly Local Court today (Friday, 09 February) to face the upgraded charge, for which he did not enter a plea. He also faced a new bail hearing, and was granted continuing conditional bail to face Downing Centre Local Court on Tuesday, 26 March 2024.
Images: Northern Beaches Advocate, Luke Gavahan (file)
Stella Maris College Open Evening
An ideal opportunity to experience the essence of Stella Maris College. Meet staff and students on a campus tour, join the Principal to discover how girls flourish in an all-girls environment and enjoy student performances, hands-on curriculum activities and demonstrations. Don't forget your complimentary sausage sizzle and gelato!