The project team working on the Mona Vale Road upgrade have issued an update saying work is on track thanks to rules introduced for the construction industry in response to COVID-19.
The $140m Mona Vale Road East project is widening 3.2km of roadway to four lanes between Manor Road, Ingleside (near the Baha’i Temple) and Foley Street, Mona Vale (near Pittwater RSL).
Under the new COVID-19 rules, the contractor Geoirgiou Group were able to extend their hours of operation, removing 5k cubic metres of rock over three weekends of continuous work in May and June.
Wet weather in July and August postponed some additional work to late August where a full closure of Mona Vale Road allowed the removal of several large boulders and cutting back rock faces next to the roadway.
They were also able to dig trenches for services and drainage as well as replace power poles.
There are five cuttings in the project where the road is being progressively widened. The widening work should be complete by March 2021, weather permitting.
The Environmental Protection Authority had approved a six week trial of working four nights a week, which was planned to commence 13 July, but was delayed due to poor weather.
The contractor says they will be working with impacted residents to ensure agreement on a new schedule for night works. The contractor says the rock breaking schedule will be reduced by as much as eight weeks with night works.
Work planned for the coming months includes:
- Continued rock breaking along Mona Vale Road at the cuttings
- Stabilising and landscaping along the northern boundary of the project (parallel to the fauna fencing)
- Installation of fauna fencing along Mona Vale Road
- Overhead and underground utility relocation work
- Installation of new stormwater drainage
- Completing the retaining wall over Narrabeen Creek to the west of Lane Cove Road
- Building a retaining wall for the fauna underpass
- Constructing the foundations for the noise wall along Mona Vale Road eastbound (from near Boundary Street to near Daydream Street) and installing noise wall panels
- Commencing construction of the shared use path, road asphalt, kerb and gutters in the area east of the site compound